Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cesareans outnumber Vaginal Births in S Florida

Last year, for the first time, more babies in Miami-Dade County were born by cesarean section than were born vaginally, according to state records, and Broward's not far behind, with a rate of 43.7 percent -- both far above the national average.

At Kendall Regional Medical Center in Southwest Miami-Dade, seven out of 10 babies were delivered by C-section, a rate that University of Miami obstetrician Gene Burkett called ``just astounding.''

Locally and nationally, the cesarean rate has been creeping up annually for years. In 2007, the U.S. rate reached 31.8 percent, according to the National Center for Health Statistics -- an increase of more than 50 percent over the past decade.

Read more...

2 comments:

Kayce said...

This just baffles me! I am so glad I don't live there, even though I had a cesarean with my daughter. That is just crazy.

Anonymous Mommy said...

That is just sad. I love your blog! It's very informative and interesting. Thanks for the post!